Mercer Knives Review: How to Find the Best Mercer Knife
Checking a Mercer knives review will help you locate the right knife for your needs. There are many of these kinds on the market, so selecting one might be more confusing than helpful if it's your first time to shop around for these knives. Mercer knives are trusted by many hotels, restaurants, and homes for its top quality and durable construction.
And there is no doubt about it because Mercer has been around for the past three decades. The brand has been supplying the world with superior cutlery. In fact, it has been the go-to brand for almost 90% of culinary schools in North America. With its reputation in the world, especially among top chefs, many consumers are choosing this name when looking for top of the line knives.
To help you have an overview of the best Mercer knives on the market, check out this table for reference.
5 Best Mercer Knives Review - Comparison Chart
Mercer Culinary Renaissance 6-Piece Forged Knife Block Set
Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Piece Forged Knife Block Set
Mercer Culinary Renaissance 8-Inch Forged Chef's Knife
Mercer Culinary Genesis 8-Inch Forged Chef's Knife
Mercer Culinary Millennia 10-Inch Wide Bread Knife
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Pros and Cons of Using Mercer Knives
The quality of these knives can be compared to other top brands, including Shun Knives on the market. They are known for providing top quality and affordable knives for commercial and residential kitchens.
Many of the knives are forged for added durability and strength. They are also constructed with triple rivets, and their handles are designed for superior grip, comfort, and balance.
The products are NSF certified for performance, safety and quality. They are easy to handle and use for chopping, cutting or slicing your favorite foods, including turkey.
On the downside, proper care must be done to keep them at their peak performance. For one, you should hand wash, not dish wash them or else heat might affect their blades. Plus, you should not soak them in water for a long time, or their sharpness might also be affected. Finally, Mercer knives are more expensive than other products in the same category are.
So whether you're looking for steak knives, boning knives or chef knives, you might want to consider Mercer knives for top quality at the best prices.
Things to Look for the Best Mercer Knives
Choose based on your cooking style. For one, there are knives sold separately and those sold in sets. You might want to select a set that includes those pieces you are probably using more often.
Additionally, you should look for construction and materials – including Mercer knives made with high grade German and forged steel.
You must also look for products that offer superior grip – handles, like DELRIN and Santoprene – for optimum comfort and balance when cutting or chopping.
Check on your budget. Thanks to Mercer because it is offering different knives at various price ranges, meaning you can find lower- or higher- priced products that will suit your budget.
The brand's premier line includes MX3, which is their premium product line. The products under this category are made out of VG10 Japanese steel. These products are most expensive.
But in this review, we're featuring its Genesis and Renaissance, along with a chef knife that works well for all types of cooks, each with individual needs. Nevertheless, we've reviewed forged knives, which are durable with long-lasting sharpness and superior comfort offering.
The set is a durable set that comes with a tempered glass block, allowing for easy organization and storage. You won't want a messy kitchen, right? So if you do, buying a set that includes a block set is well advised.
Each piece in the set is made from high quality forged steel, making them some of the most durable on the market. The knives are made with high carbon and no-stain cutleries that resist wear and tear, discoloration, rust, and corrosion.
This Renaissance set comes with superior durability and construction. Each piece comes with a taper-ground edge, which adds durability and makes it easy for honing. The best part is that these knives have long-lasting sharpness, so you won't need to hone them often. With that said, you can always count on them for chopping and cutting almost all types of food.
And with its glass block, you can easily find the right knife to use for your specific purpose. Additionally, the handles are constructed using full tang and triple-riveted DELRIN technology that allows superior grip. They won't easily break even when exposed to grime, dirt, and oil. The pieces also come with a shorter bolster that allows better handling and added durability – not to mention it provides finger protection as well.
- The set is NSF certified for safety, performance, and quality.
- It is a complete set that includes a utility knife, paring knife, bread knife, boning knife, chef knife and a glass block.
- It is made with X50 Cr Mo V15 steel, which resists corrosion, rust, and discoloration.
- The model comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Each piece is made with a taper-round edge for easy honing and long-lasting performance.
- The performance of this set might degrade if you don't clean after use or if you use harsh detergents that might ruin its handle.
- The blade might discolor if you soak in water for a long time or if you use bleach.
- Pitting on the blade might be a problem if you soak it in stainless steel or aluminum sinks.
If you're looking for a dependable and long-lasting knife set, then you might want to go for this one from Mercer! It lets you chop, slice and cut your favorite foods, including potatoes, meat, fruits, and vegetables.One of the most innovative features of the product is the included tempered block set, which lets you organize your knives without any hassles. It lets you find the right knife you're looking for the specific task.
The set is one of the most chosen even by top chefs because they are made of high carbon and grade German steel that can resist corrosion, rust and discoloration. They are also forged knives that make them more durable, resulting to knives that can stay sharp without constant honing.
The set is also NSF certified, meaning they are guaranteed as a high-quality set, which is also safe to use. They are also certified and tested to meet standards regarding performance.
Make food preparation a joy using this knife set that works for small or large kitchens. Each piece has the Mercer quality of performance, durability, and quality.
- The set includes a boning knife, a utility knife, a chef knife, a paring knife, a bread knife and a knife block.
- Its handle is also made with Santoprene technology for comfort, non-slip grip, and safety, even using them with wet hands.
- The product is backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
- The pieces are made of tough X50 Cr Mo V15 steel that resists discoloration, rust, and corrosion.
- The edges are taper-ground for long-lasting sharpness, easy honing, increased efficiency and added stability.
- For superior balance, each piece is made with a full tang.
- The set is expensive.
- Improper care, such as soaking it in the water for a long-time might affect sharpness.
This is one of the best chef knives I have found online, so I thought it would be a sound idea to include it in this guide. Just like other Mercer models, the product passes quality and safety standards, meaning you can also look forward to long-term use if you'd use this chef knife.
The product is made with a DELRIN triple-riveted handle technology for easy gripping even if your hands are wet.
It is also made with no-stain and high carbon X50 Cr Mo V15 steel that can fight corrosion, staining, rust, and discoloration.
If you're looking for a well balanced, this product might be for you, as it is made with a full tang, which runs its handle length, giving you that perfect balance. It is also made with a taper-ground edge, which promotes easy honing, stability and sharpness, and it can provide you with that superior efficiency when chopping and cutting. The product also comes with limited lifetime warranty, which ensures that you can have peace of mind for buying this set.
- The product is NSF certified for performance, stability, and quality.
- Mercer is synonymous with professionalism and quality.
- The knife is a combination of fit, form, and function.
- 8-Inch Chef's Knife is always reliable, and it stays sharp without constant honing.
- Quality and performance might suffer if you don't care for it properly.
- The blade might be discolored if you use chlorine bleach or soak it in water for a long time.
- Its sharpness might be affected if you'd wash it in the dishwasher.
Upon considering several things in our Mercer knives review, such as a set that includes most of the knives we'd commonly use in our kitchens, organization features (block set), long lasting performance (sharpness), safety (optimum balance and comfortable grip), durable steel materials (forged, X50 Cr Mo V15), I'd recommend the Mercer Culinary Renaissance 6-Piece Forged Knife Block Set. But regardless of the featured products you've chosen from our list, I just thought they're all top choices based on all these factors as well.